[Note: Professor John DeLamater died at home on December 13, 2017. Social Psychology Network is maintaining this profile for visitors who wish to learn more about Professor DeLamater's work.]
John DeLamater received his PhD in Sociology from the University of Michigan in 1969, before moving to Madison, where he taught at the University of Wisconsin-Madison for 48 years as a professor, becoming the Conway-Bascom Professor Emeritus in the Department of Sociology. His professional interests included social psychology, human sexuality, gender, life course, and deviance, law and social control, and his research focused on sexuality across the life course, intimate relationships, health promotion, and survey research methodology.
Professor DeLamater was elected a Fellow of the Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality, won distinguished service and teaching awards, and was awarded the Alfred E. Kinsey Award for Distinguished Contributions to the field of sex research. A former Editor of the Journal of Sex Research, he authored numerous textbooks and articles.
- Applied Social Psychology
- Close Relationships
- Gender Psychology
- Health Psychology
- Research Methods, Assessment
- Sexuality, Sexual Orientation
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- DeLamater, J. (Ed.). (2006). Handbook of social psychology. New York: Springer.
- DeLamater, J., & Myers, D. (2011). Social psychology (7th ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth/Thomson.
- Hyde, J. S., & DeLamater, J. (2011). Understanding human sexuality (11th ed.). Boston, MA: McGraw-Hill.
- DeLamater, J., & Karraker, A. (2009). Sexual functioning in older adults. Current Psychiatry Reports, 11, 6-11.
- DeLamater, J., & Moorman, S. (2007). Sexual behavior in later life. Journal of Aging and Health, 19, 921-945.
- DeLamater, J., & Sill, M. (2005). Sexual desire in later life. Journal of Sex Research, 42, 138-149.
- Hyde, J., DeLamater, J., & Else-Quest, N. (2005). Context counts: First sexual experiences and later sexual dysfunction. Journal of Sex Research, 42, 102-112.
- Karraker, A., DeLamater, J., & Schwartz, C. (2011). Sexual frequency decline from midlife to later life. The Journals of Gerontology Series B: Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences, 2011; doi: 10.1093/geronb/gbr058.
- DeLamater, J., & Hyde, J. (2004). Conceptual and theoretical issues in studying sexuality in close relationships. In J. Harvey, A. Wenzel, & S. Sprecher (Eds.), The Handbook of sexuality in close relationships (pp. 7-30). Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Frank, K., & DeLamater, J. (2010). Deconstructing monogamy: Boundaries, identities, and fluidities across relationships. In Barker, M., & Langdridge, D. (Eds.), Understanding non-monogamies (pp. 9-20). New York: Routledge.